Chunky Peanut Brittle
As a farm girl, I often made Christmas goodies with my mother for our family of eight candy-loving kids. Now, my own children and grandkids say the season wouldn't by the same without a tray filled with this chocolaty peanut brittle.
40 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1-1/2 cups butter, divided
- 2 cups peanut butter chips, divided
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 cups salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with
- 1-1/2 teaspoons of butter. Sprinkle with 1 cup peanut butter chips;
- set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, bring sugar, corn syrup, water and remaining
- butter to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and
- stir until butter is melted. Cook, without stirring, until a candy
- thermometer reads 300° (hard-cracked stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in peanuts. Quickly pour onto prepared
- pan; sprinkle with chocolate chips and remaining peanut butter
- chips. With a knife, gently swirl softened chips over top of
- brittle. Cool before breaking into pieces. Store in an airtight
- container. Yield: 2-1/2 pounds.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 ounce) equals 183 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 117 mg sodium,