Chunky Peach Spread
This fruity spread from field editor Rebecca Baird of Salt Lake City, Utah captures the taste of summer! Low in sugar, it's not overly sweet...and the fresh peach flavor really comes through. You'll want to try it on everything from bagels to waffles.
28 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 7 medium peaches (2 to 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Fill a large saucepan two-thirds with water; bring to a boil. Cut a
- shallow “X” on the bottom of each peach. Using tongs, place peaches,
- a few at a time, in boiling water for 30-60 seconds or just until
- skin at the “X” begins to loosen. Remove peaches and immediately
- drop into ice water. Pull off skins with tip of a knife; discard
- skins. Chop peaches.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand 1
- minute. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine peaches, sugar and
- lemon juice; bring to a boil. Mash peaches. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, 5 minutes. Add gelatin mixture; cook 1 minute longer,
- stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Cool 10 minutes.
- Pour into jars. Refrigerate, covered, up to 3 weeks. Yield: about
- 3-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 21 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber,