Chunky Herbed Pizza Dip
“Use your favorite dipper with this. I like to use multicolored bell pepper strips, celery, small breadsticks, mozzarella sticks and pepperoni slices.” -Clara Coulston of Washington Court House, Ohio
14 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/4 teaspoons sugar
- Mozzarella sticks, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute garlic in oil for 1-2 minutes or until
- tender. Drain one can tomatoes; set aside. (Save tomato juice for
- another use.) Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano and
- sugar to the pan.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or
- until thickened. Serve with mozzarella sticks if desired. Yield:
- 3-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1/4 cup (calculated without mozzarella sticks) equals 42 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 84 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.