I love to cook and bake, especially when our children and grandchildren are here. After spending time outdoors, this chili warms up the coldest winter evening!
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds lean beef chuck or top round steak, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large heavy saucepan, brown meat in oil. Stir in the next seven
- ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for
- 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Stir in beans during the last 30 minutes of cooking. If desired,
- serve in bread bowls by hollowing out rolls and spooning chili into
- center. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 253 calories, 7 g fat (0 saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 321 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch,