Chunky Chicken Soup
Here's a satisfying soup that you'll find yourself serving year-round. Every spoonful is loaded with the fantastic flavor of chicken, celery, carrots and peas.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked macaroni
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas
- In a large saucepan, cook the chicken, celery and onion in oil until
- chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the broth, carrots, thyme, salt if desired and pepper; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until
- vegetables are tender.
- Stir in macaroni and peas. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until
- the macaroni is tender. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with low-sodium broth and without added salt) equals 1 starch, 1 meat; also, 140 calories, 109 mg sodium, 18 mg cholesterol, 13 gm carbohydrate, 10 gm protein, 6 gm fat.