There's just something extra special about homemade applesauce. This simple recipe is tart and not too sweet. It makes the perfect side dish, especially with pork chops or a pork roast. —Deborah Amrine, Grand Haven, Michigan
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 8 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a Dutch oven, combine apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cover and
- cook over medium-low heat for 30-40 minutes or until apples are
- tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in
- vanilla. Mash apples slightly if desired. Serve warm or cold. Yield:
- about 3-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup equals 157 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, trace protein.