Christmas Rice Pudding
My heritage is Swedish and this recipe is known among Swedes as "grut". My Grandma Anna would make it every Christmas Eve, and we would eat it with cream poured over. Grandma always put a cinnamon stick and one almond in the rice before serving. Whoever found the almond was supposed to get married next, according to tradition.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 1-3/4 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Sliced almonds and ground cinnamon, optional
- In a saucepan, combine the rice and water. Simmer for 10 minutes; add
- milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for
- 60-70 minutes or until rice is tender. Add sugar, salt and butter;
- mix well. Spoon into small bowls or dessert dishes. Garnish with
- almonds and sprinkle with cinnamon if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 418 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 415 mg sodium, 76 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.