I have a passion for cooking, and it's probably my grandmother I can thank for it. She was a marvelous cook who could really stretch a food dollar.
All the same, I've had my share of trial and error over the years. Shortly after we were married, my husband and I were invited to a family picnic. I made the prettiest potato salad you'd ever hope to seen. There was only one problem with that dish
112 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Process: 10 min.
- 1 package (40 ounces) frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed or 2-1/2 quarts fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1 pound fresh or frozen cranberries
- 5 pounds sugar
- 2 pouches (3 ounces each) liquid fruit pectin
- Grind strawberries and cranberries in a food processor or grinder;
- place in a Dutch oven. Add sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil; boil
- for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in pectin and return to a
- full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove
- from the heat.
- Cool for 5 minutes; skim off foam. Carefully ladle hot mixture into
- hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles;
- wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water
- canner. Yield: about 14 half-pints.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 84 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.