Christmas Fruit Kabobs
My chunky fruit skewers are always a hit for brunch, whether served with pastries, quiche or eggs and bacon. They're also excellent appetizers and potluck additions.
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min. + cooling
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 kiwifruit, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 3 medium apples, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium firm bananas, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Alternately thread fruit onto wooden skewers. Cover and refrigerate
- until serving.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, cook and stir the egg yolk and
- syrup until a thermometer reads 160° and is thick enough to coat
- the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon
- juice. Cool completely. Fold in the whipped cream. Serve with fruit
- for dipping. Refrigerate any leftovers. Yield: 20 kabobs (about 1
- cup sauce).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 225 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 11 mg sodium,