“A sprinkling of crushed candy cane lends a festive touch to this creamy hot cocoa…or place a chocolate mint candy cane in each mug as a stirrer,” suggests Lori Daniels of Beverly, West Virginia. TIP: Serve this heartwarming beverage with Christmas cookies to welcome friends in from the cold after skating, sledding or caroling.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 4 cups milk
- 2/3 cup instant chocolate drink mix
- 5 chocolate mint candy canes, crushed
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk and drink mix. Cook and stir
- over medium heat until heated through. Remove from the heat. Set
- aside 1 tablespoon crushed candy canes for garnish. Stir remaining
- candy canes into cocoa; keep warm.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add
- confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Ladle
- cocoa into mugs. Top with whipped cream; sprinkle with reserved
- crushed candy canes. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 823 calories, 43 g fat (27 g saturated fat), 155 mg cholesterol, 308 mg sodium, 107 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein.