- Break candy coating into chunks. Place 4 oz. in a microwave-safe
- bowl. Heat at 70% power for 45 seconds, then stir. Microwave in 10-
- to 20-second intervals or until melted. Stir until smooth.
- Pour melted coating into one paper bag. Turn the bag to completely
- coat the inside bottom and sides. Use a pastry brush to evenly
- spread the coating over inside of bag. Prop the bag open with
- Melt 4 oz. of additional candy coating as directed. Repeat the
- coating process with the second bag. Refrigerate the bags for 5-7
- minutes or until the coating is set. Remove the toothpicks.
- Melt the remaining coating and brush it evenly over the coating on
- the bags. Refrigerate the bags 5-7 minutes longer or until set.
- Peel off and discard the paper bags. Fill the candy bags with
- caramels. Yield: Two bags, 6-1/2 dozen caramels.
Editor's Note: We recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on you test. This recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Crafter thoughts: Pipe "Merry Christmas" or another festive message on the side of each bag with red or green frosting. If you prefer, create your bags with dark instead of white chocolate.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 3,656 calories, 158 g fat (112 g saturated fat), 318 mg cholesterol, 1,481 mg sodium, 569 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 17 g protein.