- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks
- form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on
- high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread
- evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until cake springs back when
- lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel
- dusted with cocoa powder. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake
- in the towel, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; cool
- completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, for the filling, beat the cream in a large bowl until soft
- peaks form. Gradually add sugar and almond extract, beating until
- stiff peaks form. Unroll the cake; spread the filling to within 1
- in. of edges. Roll up again.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and confectioners' sugar until
- light and fluffy. Beat in the chocolate, milk and vanilla until
- smooth. Frost the cake, using a metal spatula to create a bark-like
- effect. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 245 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 143 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.