Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes
This fluffy, creamy strawberry shortcake comes from Agnes Ward of Stratford, Ontario, who adapted it from her sister's recipe. The drizzle of chocolate sauce on top is a great addition to this sweet, delightful dessert.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup crushed strawberries
- 1 drop red food coloring, optional
- 2 individual round sponge cakes
- 2/3 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/3 cup whipped topping
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in
- water and crushed strawberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1
- minute or until thickened. Add food coloring if desired.
- Place sponge cakes on a serving plate. Top with strawberry sauce,
- sliced strawberries, whipped topping and chocolate syrup if desired.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (calculated without chocolate syrup) equals 289 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 168 mg sodium,