Chocolate Picnic Cake
Rich, moist and chocolaty, this scrumptious cake is very versatile. It freezes well...and the chocolate chip topping makes it easy to pack in lunches and carry along to picnics. At home, we like it topped with vanilla ice cream.
9 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool. In a large
- bowl, beat the egg, sugar, water and oil until well blended. Combine
- the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to egg mixture until
- blended. Stir in melted chocolate.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate
- chips. Bake at 350° for 32-38 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Yield: 9 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 335 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 211 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.