Chocolate Peanut Bars
From West Covina, California, Carol Johnson shares her homemade version of the popular Baby Ruth candy bar.
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 7 cups cornflakes
- 1 can (12 ounces) salted peanuts
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a large saucepan, combine corn syrup and sugar. Bring to a boil
- over medium heat; boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat;
- add peanut butter and mix well. Stir in the cornflakes and peanuts.
- Press into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips, peanut butter and shortening;
- pour over bars and quickly spread evenly. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours
- or until set before cutting. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 258 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 140 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.