From the first time I baked these cookies, they've been a lip-smacking success. Old-fashioned and attractive, they make a perfect holiday pastry. I'm the grandmother of six and stay active with a German folk dance group.
15 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until
- soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until
- stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes. Beat in vinegar and vanilla.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth.
- Fold into egg white mixture; fold in coconut and almonds.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking
- sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-11 minutes or until firm. Remove to
- wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about
- 2-1/2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 111 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 36 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.