- In a small saucepan, combine butter, oil and chocolate. Cook over low
- heat, stirring until chocolate melts. Add water; cool 15 minutes. In
- a bowl, combine the remaining cake ingredients and beat well. Fold
- chocolate mixture into batter.
- Pour into two greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans. Bake at
- 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes outs clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Meanwhile, for filling, combine the milk, sugar and water in a small
- saucepan. Cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Add
- raisins and dates. Cook and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; add vanilla and nuts. Cool.
- For frosting, melt chips; add vanilla and nuts. Cool. Stir in sour
- cream and salt; beat with a spoon until smooth. Cool 5 minutes or
- until frosting achieves spreading consistency.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with filling; top
- with second cake. Frost top and sides of cake. Chill for 1 hour
- before serving. Garnish with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 12
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 599 calories, 30 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 229 mg sodium, 82 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.