- Pour into two greased and waxed paper-lined 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt chocolate with cream over low heat. Remove
- from the heat; stir in vanilla. Transfer to a small mixing bowl;
- chill until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Beat on
- medium speed until light and fluffy. Chill until mixture achieves
- spreading consistency.
- For ganache, in a heavy saucepan, melt chocolate and butter.
- Gradually add cream; heat until just warmed. Chill until slightly
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with filling. Top
- with remaining cake layer. Slowly pour ganache over top of cake.
- Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 436 calories, 28 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 305 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.