Chocolate Fruit N Nut Cookies
Filled with fruit, nuts, chocolate and loads of flavor, these traditional Italian treats hit the spot. We enjoy them at Christmas with a hot beverage.
12 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup mixed candied fruit, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a saucepan, combine butter, milk, sugar and honey. Bring to a full
- boil. Remove from the heat; stir in almonds and fruit. Stir in flour
- until blended. Drop by tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto greased and
- floured baking sheets. Spread batter with a spoon to form 2-1/2-in.
- circles. Bake at 350° for 6-9 minutes or until edges are lightly
- browned. Cool on pans for 1 minute before carefully removing to
- waxed paper to cool completely. For coating, combine chocolate chips
- and shortening in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat until melted.
- Spread 1 teaspoonful over the bottom of each cookie. When chocolate
- is almost set, draw wavy lines with a fork or cake decorating comb.
- Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 235 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 73 mg sodium,