Chocolate Dessert Waffles
When I was a little girl, growing up in Kansas City, Mo., my mother made these waffles for the family, especially if we were expecting company.
For a little girl, the best part of this was the waffle iron Mother used. It was called a "Mazie Lee". All the waffles came out with a sun, moon and stars on them. The iron was used on the stovetop, so you cooked one side at a time.
The iron is in
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream
- Chocolate sauce
- Fresh raspberries
- Combine cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a bowl,
- cream shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add egg yolks. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with the milk. Mix until dry
- ingredients are moistened. Stir in vanilla. Beat egg whites until
- stiff and gently fold into the batter. Preheat waffle maker and bake
- waffles according to manufacturer's directions. Serve waffles warm
- or room temperature with ice cream, warmed chocolate sauce and fresh
- raspberries. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 336 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 198 mg sodium,