- reads 275° (soft-crack stage).
- Meanwhile, melt remaining butter. Pour hot syrup into reserved egg
- white mixture; stir with a wooden spoon. Stir in the walnuts,
- vanilla and melted butter.
- Pour half of nougat mixture into prepared pan; press evenly. Sprinkle
- with chocolate chips. Tint remaining nougat mixture with red and/or
- green food coloring if desired; spread over chocolate chips. Press
- down evenly with buttered fingers. Let stand for several hours until
- Using a knife coated with cooking spray, cut nougat into 1-in.
- squares. Wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper if desired. Store at
- room temperature. Yield: 2-1/2 pounds.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 86 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 17 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.