- Add to dry ingredients; beat until well blended. In another bowl,
- beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; fold
- into batter.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until
- a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10
- minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Carefully remove waxed paper.
- In a large saucepan, combine filling ingredients. Cook and stir over
- medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Chill for 2 hours or
- until filling reaches spreading consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Beat with a mixer until fluffy.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a
- serving plate; top with a fifth of the filling. Repeat layers.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream, confectioners' sugar
- and cocoa until stiff peaks form. Spread over top and sides of cake.
- Garnish with chocolate curls. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 620 calories, 40 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 184 mg cholesterol, 290 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.