Chocolate Cherry Cake
Flo Burtnett of Gage, Oklahoma has a sweet treat to enhance your buffeta lusciously verssatile layer cake. "I've changed the design on top to a heart for Valentine's, a pumpkin for autumn and a tree for Christmas," she reveals.Flo Burtnett, Gage, Oklahoma
12 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups (16 ounces) cherry yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling, divided
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, cinnamon, yogurt, eggs, milk
- and vanilla. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds; beat on medium for 2
- minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing
- to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place one cake layer on a serving platter. Spread 1 cup whipped
- topping in a circle 1-1/2 in. wide around outer top edge of cake.
- Spoon 1 cup of cherry pie filling in the center. Top with second
- cake layer.
- Spoon remaining pie filling into a star, maple leaf or other desired
- shape in the center. Pipe or spread remaining whipped topping on top
- of cake and around bottom of cake. Chill at least 1 hour before