Chocolate Cherry Bars
These tempting bars are simple to make with cherry pie filling, crunchy almonds and chocolate chips. I took them to a church supper and everyone wanted the recipe. Some people said the sweet treats reminded them of chocolate-covered cherries.
-Tina Dierking, Skohegan, Maine
36 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and cocoa. Cut in butter until
- the mixture is crumbly. Add egg and almond extract until blended.
- Set aside 1 cup for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into a
- greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Carefully top with pie filling.
- Combine chocolate chips, almonds and reserved crumb mixture;
- sprinkle over pie filling.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool; refrigerate for at least 2 hours
- before cutting into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 177 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 57 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.