Chocolate Caramel Pears
Bring out a tray of these fancy fruit treats and watch everybody's eyes widen. The pears wear a nut-dusted caramel coating and an elegant drizzle of chocolate. They make a beautiful gift, wrapped in colored or clear cellophane.
6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 large firm pears with stems
- 1 cup chopped cashews, hazelnuts or almonds
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening, divided
- 1/3 cup vanilla or white chips
- In a heavy saucepan, heat caramels and water over low heat just until
- caramels are melted. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Cut a
- thin slice from the bottom of each pear so it sits flat. Dip pears
- halfway in caramel; tun to coat and allow excess to drip off. Dip in
- nuts and place on a greased baking sheet; refrigerate for 30 minutes
- or until coating is firm.
- In a heavy saucepan or microwave, melt chocolate chips with 1
- teaspoon shortening; stir until smooth. In another saucepan, melt
- vanilla chips with remaining shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle
- melted chips over pears and stems. Let stand until set. Yield: 6
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 612 calories, 24 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 318 mg sodium, 101 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 8 g protein.