Chocolate Caramel Cracker Bars
Made on Saturday and gone by Monday, these Chocolate Caramel Bars with a cracker crust are just that good. —Allysa Billhorn, Wilton, Iowa
27 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 teaspoon plus 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 45 Club crackers (2-1/2-inches x 1-inch)
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Line a 9-in. square baking pan with foil and grease the foil with 1
- teaspoon butter. Arrange a single layer of crackers in the pan.
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, brown sugar, corn syrup and
- remaining butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring
- occasionally. Reduce heat to maintain a low boil; cook and stir for
- 7 minutes. Remove from the heat. Evenly spread a third of the
- mixture over the crackers. Repeat cracker and caramel layers twice.
- Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over caramel; let stand 3-5
- minutes or until glossy. Spread over top. Cover and refrigerate for
- 2 hours or until chocolate is set. Using foil, lift layers out of
- pan; cut into 3-in. x 1-in. bars. Yield: 27 bars.