- butter and salt; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring
- constantly. Cook 4 minutes longer without stirring.
- Remove from the heat; gradually stir in condensed milk. Return to the
- heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook and stir until a candy
- thermometer reads 244° (firm-ball stage). Remove from the heat;
- stir in vanilla. Pour over chocolate mixture (do not scrape
- saucepan). Refrigerate until caramel is set, at least 2 hours.
- Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Gently peel off foil; cut into
- 3-1/4-in. x 1-in. bars. In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir
- until smooth. Dip bars in coating; allow excess to drip off. Place
- on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; refrigerate until set. Store in
- an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
Editor's Note: For variety, stir 2 cups peanuts into the marshmallow creme mixture. We recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts: 1 candy bar equals 460 calories, 21 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 110 mg sodium, 70 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.