Chocolate Caramel Bars
These bars have a delightful combination of chocolate, caramel and walnuts. I often rely on bar cookies for their ease of preparation.
36 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- CARAMEL LAYER:
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add flour until well combined. Press into a greased 13-in.
- x 9-in. baking pan; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine butter and brown sugar. Bring to a boil;
- cook for 1 minute. Stir in walnuts. Spread over crust.
- Bake at 350° for 16-18 minutes or until set. Immediately sprinkle
- with chocolate chips. Allow chips to soften for a few minutes, then
- spread over caramel layer. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
- Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 166 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 64 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.