Chocolate Bavarian Torte
"Whenever I take this torte to a potluck, I get so many requests for the recipe," notes Edith Holmstrom of Madison, Wisconsin.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 2 tablespoons grated semisweet chocolate
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two
- 9-in. round baking pans. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing
- to wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and salt until
- smooth. Fold in cream.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a
- serving plate; top with a fourth of the cream mixture. Sprinkle with
- a fourth of the chocolate. Repeat layers three times. Cover and
- refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Yield: 12 servings.