Chive and Cheese Breadsticks
No Italian supper would be complete without bread. With two types of cheese, garlic and minced chives, these tasty twists go above and beyond. —Rebekah Beyer, Sabetha, Kansas
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in. square. In a
- small bowl, combine the butter, chives and garlic; spread over
- dough. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Fold dough in half. Cut into sixteen 3/4-in.-wide strips. Twist each
- strip 2-3 times; pinch ends to seal.
- Place 2 in. apart in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375° for 13-15
- minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 16 breadsticks.
Nutrition Facts: 1 breadstick equals 137 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 253 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.