Chipotle Pea Spread
"I've always loved to cook. I also love hummus and bacon, but needed to make something green for this contest. It took a few tries to come up with a recipe everyone loves. Hope you do, too!" —Frances "Kay" Bouma, Trail, British Columbia
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cooked bacon strips, chopped
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Assorted fresh vegetables or crackers
- In a small saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add peas; cover
- and cook for 1 minute. Drain and immediately place peas in ice
- water. Drain and pat dry.
- Place peas in a food processor; add the cheese, bacon, sour cream,
- oil, lime juice, garlic, chipotle pepper and pepper. Cover and
- process until smooth. Serve with vegetables or crackers. Yield:
- 1-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1/4 cup (calculated without vegetables) equals 129 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 207 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 starch.