Chilled Summer Berry Bisque
A blend of yogurt and spices thickens this cold blueberry soup and tempers the sweetness. It makes an attractive and healthy first course for a summer menu.Arlene Knick, Newport News, Virginia
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 4-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed, divided
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups (16 ounces) plain yogurt
- Fresh mint leaves
- In a large saucepan, combine 4 cups blueberries, apple juice, orange
- juice, honey, ginger, orange peel, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a
- boil, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process blueberry mixture and yogurt in batches until
- smooth. Refrigerate until chilled. Just before serving, garnish with
- mint and remaining blueberries.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 145 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 30 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber,