Chilled Strawberry Soup
A neighbor gave this recipe to my young daughter after she went to visit with a bowl and spoon in hand!Ellen Lohrenz, Enid, Oklahoma
4-6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Whipped cream or yogurt and fresh mint, optional
- In a blender, combine strawberries, orange juice and cinnamon; cover
- and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a large saucepan; add the tapioca and let stand for 5
- minutes. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from
- the heat; stir in buttermilk, sugar, lemon juice and peel.
- Refrigerate. Garnish with whipped cream or yogurt and mint if
- desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Editor's Note: Hollowed-out honeydew or cantaloupe halves make fun serving bowls for this soup.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 132 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 44 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.