Chilled Squash and Carrot Soup
This smooth soup is colorful as well as nutritious and filling. Served chilled, it makes an elegant first course when entertaining. But it's also good warm.
Elaine Sabacky of Litchfield, Minnesota
4 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 3 cups)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large saucepan, combine the squash, broth, carrots, onion and
- salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20
- minutes or until vegetables are very tender. Remove from the heat;
- In a blender or food processor, puree squash mixture in batches.
- Transfer to a bowl, stir in milk. Cover and chill until serving.
- Garnish with sour cream. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1-1/4 cups) equals 127 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 637 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch.