Chilled Red Wine Fruit Dressing
The fruit bowl will be the first to empty when Donna Warner's elegant dressing is tossed into the mix. "It's wonderful with melon balls, sliced oranges, strawberries, bananas and most any type of fruit," she writes from Tavares, Florida. "Use it to dress either a salad or a light summer dessert."
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 cup dry red wine or 1/2 cup grape juice plus 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 8 whole cloves
- In a saucepan, combine the wine or grape juice plus vinegar, sugar,
- red wine vinegar, cinnamon stick and cloves. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Strain liquid; discard cinnamon stick and cloves. Cover and
- refrigerate until serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Editor’s Note: If using grape juice instead of wine, reduce sugar to 1/3 cup.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (4 teaspoons) equals 60 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 fruit.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet