Chili con Queso El Dorado
Used as a dip or a sauce on burgers, chicken or pork, this creamy queso is spiced with chilies, chipotle peppers and hot pepper sauce. —Carolyn Kumpe, El Dorado, California
16 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 2 cans (5 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- Tortilla chips
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in oil until tender. Add garlic;
- cook 1 minute longer. Add chilies and chipotle peppers; cook 2
- minutes longer. Gradually stir in milk; heat through.
- Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Stir in the
- cilantro, salt and pepper sauce. Serve warm with tortilla chips.
- Yield: 4 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1/4 cup (calculated without chips) equals 92 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 237 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.