Chili Cheese Strata
This do-ahead casserole has a south-of-the-border flavor. Adjust the chilies and salsa to suit your tastes.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1 loaf (12 ounces) French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup salsa verde or 4 ounces chopped green chilies and 1/2 cup salsa, combined
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 2 cups milk or half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Place bread cubes evenly in a greased 2-qt. shallow baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Pour salsa over cheese; set aside. In a
- blender, combine eggs, soup, milk, onion and Worcestershire sauce;
- pour over bread mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and
- refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 327 calories, 16 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 149 mg cholesterol, 952 mg sodium,