Chili Bean Soup
From Kingman, Arizona, Mary Felty sent this zesty soup. "It's quick to fix yet it tastes like it simmered all day," she promises. "My husband likes it with cheddar cheese and tortilla chips."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir
- in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 15 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 176 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1,055 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 7 g protein.