Chicken with Chive Sauce
Browned chicken gets a pleasant flavor boost from a creamy white sauce featuring chives and mushrooms and makes a lovely presentation when served over white or wild rice. The recipe from field editor Becky Baird of Salt Lake City, Utah is easy to prepare, too.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup minced chives
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in 2 tablespoons oil for 3-4
- minutes on each side. Remove and keep warm. Saute mushrooms and
- chives in remaining oil for 2 minutes. Stir in the flour. Gradually
- whisk in the broth until blended. Stir in the cream, nutmeg, salt
- and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until
- Return chicken to the pan; turn to coat. Cover and simmer for 7-9
- minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Serve with rice.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 323 calories, 20 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 103 mg cholesterol, 134 mg sodium,