- Add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken
- and vegetables to a serving dish; keep warm.
- Set aside 1/4 cup broth; cool. Bring remaining broth to a simmer. For
- dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir in egg
- and reserved broth just until moistened. Drop batter in four mounds
- onto simmering broth. Cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until a
- toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover
- while simmering). Remove dumplings and keep warm.
- For gravy, transfer 1-1/3 cups broth to a small saucepan (save
- remaining broth for another use). Bring to a boil. Combine the
- flour, salt and water until smooth; stir into broth. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over
- chicken, vegetables and dumplings. Serve immediately. Yield: 2
Nutrition Facts: 1 chicken breast half with 2/3 cup gravy and 2 dumplings equals 536 calories, 17 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 176 mg cholesterol, 1,128 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 47 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.