Chicken Tortilla Soup
Bring a bit of the Southwest to your table with this spirit-warming soup. Loaded with tender chicken, diced tomatoes and plenty of seasonings, it's sure to be requested again and again.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- Tortilla chips, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a
- boil. Add chicken. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-6 minutes or
- until chicken is no longer pink. Combine cornstarch and water until
- smooth; gradually stir into soup.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Top
- servings with cheese and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips if
- desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium chicken broth and reduced-fat cheese; calculated without tortilla chips) equals 183 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 752 mg sodium,