This is one of my husband's favorites, and he's a picky eater, so you know it's good! Some folks are surprised how well chicken and shrimp complement each other.
2 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 pound fully cooked smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash cayenne
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter until crisp-tender.
- Add the sausage, broth, tomatoes, green pepper, bay leaf, thyme and
- cayenne. Bring to a boil; add rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer
- for 15 minutes. Add chicken and shrimp; cook 5-10 minutes longer or
- until shrimp turn pink and rice is tender. Discard bay leaf before
- serving. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One 1-1/4 cup serving (prepared with turkey sausage) equals 386 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 158 mg cholesterol, 986 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber,