Chicken Carrot Pilaf
"While this colorful stovetop supper is perfect for everyday family meals, it makes a lovely company dinner, too," notes Frances Musser of Newmanstown, Pennsylvania. "I like to serve it with homemade rolls," she adds.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 5 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in butter until no longer pink.
- Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, add the rice, carrots,
- onion, mushrooms and red pepper. Cook and stir until rice is browned
- and onion is tender.
- Stir in broth. Place chicken over rice mixture. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is
- tender. Stir in parsley. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (prepared with reduced-fat margarine and reduced-sodium broth) equals 362 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 755 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 meat, 2 starch,