Chicken Cacciatore Skillet
In her Douglas, Arizona kitchen, Norma Lavanchy cooks up hearty helpings of this easy entree. I"m always experimenting with different ways to fix chicken," she says. "This was an instant success the first time I tried it."
4 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce
- In a large skillet, cook the chicken, onion and garlic in 3
- tablespoons broth until chicken juices run clear. Stir in the green
- pepper, mushrooms, bay leaf, oregano, basil, pepper and remaining
- broth. Bring to a boil. Add the rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer
- for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender. Add the spaghetti
- sauce; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 250 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 641 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber,