My husband and I milk 125 cows. There are days when there's just no time left for cooking! It's really nice to be able to come in from the barn at night and smell this meal simmeringdinner is a simple matter of dishing it up. I've used this recipe for many years, and everyone who tries it likes it. It's very easy to make, but it's also special enough to serve when company comes to call.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained or 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup white wine or water
- Hot cooked pasta
- Place sliced onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the chicken,
- seasonings, tomatoes, tomato sauce, mushrooms and wine or water.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken juices run
- clear. Discard bay leaf. Serve chicken with sauce over pasta. Yield:
- 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving equals 3 protein, 2 vegetable; also, 180 calories, 745 mg sodium, 177 mg cholesterol, 10 gm carbohydrate, 26 gm protein, 4 gm fat.