Chicken Barley Soup
No questionthis is my favorite soup. It's so filling that I serve it as a hearty main dish, and I have given the recipe to many of our friends and relatives. It tastes too good to keep to yourself!
5 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up
- 2 quarts water
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- In a stock pot, cook chicken in water until tender. Remove chicken
- and set aside until cool enough to handle. Cool broth and skim off
- Remove meat from bones; discard bones and cut meat into cubes; return
- to pot along with remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for at
- least 1 hour or until vegetables and barley are tender. Remove bay
- leaf before serving.
- Yield: 5 servings.
Nutrition Facts:Nutritional Analysis: One 1-cup serving equals 259 calories, 127 mg sodium, 89 mg cholesterol, 22 gm carbohydrate, 31 gm protein,