Chicago-Style Beef Rolls
I have fond memories of eating these big, messy sandwiches at a neighbor’s house when I was growing up. Freeze extras and save for another meal, too! —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, ID
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package Italian salad dressing mix
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 16 sourdough rolls, split
- Sliced pepperoncini and pickled red pepper rings, optional
- Brown roast in oil on all sides in a large skillet; drain. Transfer
- beef to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the broth, onion, dressing mix,
- garlic, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes in a large bowl; pour
- over roast.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until tender. Remove meat;
- cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred beef with two
- forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. Place 1/2 cup on each
- roll using a slotted spoon. Serve with pepperoncini and pepper rings
- if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.