Chewy Snack Squares
These chewy bars are a nice change of pace from the usual marshmallow cereal bars. Adding peanuts and coconut makes a tasty, interesting snack.Cheryl Miller, Fort Collins, Colorado
30 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. + cooling
- 5 cups cornflakes
- 4 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- In a large bowl, combine cereal, peanuts and coconut; set aside. In a
- saucepan, combine corn syrup, sugar, butter and cream; cook and stir
- over medium heat until the mixture reaches soft-ball stage
- (240°), about 25-30 minutes. Pour over cereal mixture and toss
- to coat evenly. Pat into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan.
- Cool before cutting. Yield: 30 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 163 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 143 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.