Chewy Energy Bars
My husband and I put these in our lunch, but they're also a nice portable breakfast or snack. They're quick, store well and easy to keep on hand. —Sharon Rast, Show Low, Arizona
18 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the cereal, oats and wheat germ. In a small
- saucepan, combine the corn syrup, peanut butter and brown sugar.
- Cook over medium heat until peanut butter is melted, stirring
- occasionally. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour over
- cereal mixture; mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. square pan. Gently press cereal mixture
- evenly into pan. Cool completely. Cut into bars. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 bar equals 212 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 115 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.