Cherry Walnut Balls
This old-fashioned holiday candy brightens up cookie plates and has become one of my signature confections, requested by family and friends. I made this up by combining two recipes.
-Suzanne McKinley, Lyons, Georgia
9 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 18 candied cherries
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Transfer to a
- greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes,
- stirring every 8 minutes. Remove from the oven; stir well. Cool.
- Shape about 1 tablespoon of walnut mixture around each cherry,
- forming a ball. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Store in an
- airtight container at room temperature. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 166 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 39 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.